I love making smoothies! They’re so easy! And nutritious! And delicious! And they’re also lots of fun to make!
In fact, here’s how I see it: I enjoy making smoothies because for me, cooking is a wonderful form of creativity, artistic expression and relaxation – and I thoroughly love the entire process of mixing and matching different fruits, veggies, milks, proteins, nuts and seeds, and other ingredients to create something new and delicious to help me achieve on my health, beauty and fitness goals!
Also, I think of making smoothies as a fun science experiment in the kitchen (aka “my lab”). And the best part of it all is that at the end of each experiment is something new, interesting, and tasty that does your body good!
That said, today I’ll be sharing a very healthy and very tasty smoothie recipe with a superstar ingredient that many of you have probably never thought in a million years to add to your smoothies. And that superstar ingredient is….*drumroll*…. beets!
Now before we get to today’s Red Beet Smoothie recipe, let’s do a quick rundown of the Health and Beauty Benefits of Beets:
- Beets are an excellent source of vitamin C which promotes healthy skin and immune health
- Beets are rich in naturally occurring nitrates which can help increase exercise performance.
- Beets are loaded with other key nutrients, including folate and potassium that can help prevent bloating.
- Beets and blackberries are both high in disease-fighting and anti-aging antioxidants
- Beets are low in calories and high in fiber, so this smoothie will keep you satisfied while promoting healthy digestion and healthy weight management.
Plus, when you drink this smoothie you’ll also receive the extra benefits from the vitamins, nutrients, protein, and antioxidants naturally found in the other ingredients like Greek yogurt, blueberries, coconut milk, pineapples, and flaxseeds! (Scroll down below to see the full recipe)
All the above stated, beets are incredibly nutritious and they have tons of benefits. So if you’d like to start incorporating more beets into your diet, the Berry Beet Smoothie #101 would be a great and easy way to start!
Alright ladies, that’s all I got for today. I hope you enjoyed this post and don’t forget to signup to my Newsletter for updates on new videos, blog posts, and more.
Enjoy and Stay Beautiful!
Berry Beet Smoothie #101
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup peeled and diced beets
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blackberries (or blueberries)
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/4 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp whole or ground flaxseed
- 1 scoop FitBeauty Collagen Protein
- Optional: honey to taste
How to Prepare Beets for Your Smoothie
Beet prep is very easy. Simply peel the beet the same way you would an apple, using a vegetable peeler or knife. Cut the beet into small chunks so it blends easily. Feel free to use cooked or raw beets, whichever is more convenient for you. Note: Smoothies made with raw beets tend to be not as smooth, so if you prefer a very smooth consistency for your smoothies, you should go with cooked beets. To cook your beets you’ll want to steam them for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Then let the cooked beets cool before making your smoothie. Also, to make things even easier, you can buy beets that have already been peeled and steamed in the produce section at most grocery stores.
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth. If you desire a sweeter smoothie, add a little honey and blend again. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 day.